The History of Leith

June 21, 2009

Dalkeith Palace

Dalkeith Palace in Dalkeith, Midlothian, Scotland, is the former seat of the Duke of Buccleuch.

Dalkeith Castle was located to the north east of Dalkeith, and was originally in the hands of the Grahams in the 12th century and given to the Douglas family in the early 14th Century. James Douglas of Dalkeith became the Earl of Morton in the mid 15th century. The castle was strategically located in an easily defensible position above a bend in the River North Esk. In 1543, Cardinal David Beaton of St. Andrews was imprisoned in Dalkeith Castle. It was forced open and destroyed by the English in 1547, and in 1575 the James Douglas, 4th Earl of Morton built a new castle there. In 1642 Dalkeith Castle was sold to the Francis Scott, 2nd Earl of Buccleuch. for more click here

Some Text