The History of Leith

June 20, 2009

Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway

The Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway received the royal assent on 26 May 1826 as a horse-drawn tramway to the Scotch gauge, of 4 ft 6 in (1,372 mm), to link various coal mines to the south east of Edinburgh.[1][2]

Due to the success of the enterprise, the North British Railway had to pay £113,000 for the line, with the sale being completed in October 1845.[2] It was subsequently converted to standard gauge, reopening in July 1847. for more click here

Some Text