The History of Leith

May 20, 2009

Jock’s Lodge-Edinburgh

img_5195
Click to enlarge
(c) John Arthur

Jock’s Lodge is a suburb of Edinburgh, Scotland. It is bordered by Meadowbank to the west, and Piershill to the east. The origin of the name is uncertain, but it occurs as early as 1650.

The area is dominated by civil service buildings which were built on the site of the St Margerets Railway Marshalling Yards, which was primarily for steam locomotives, The office blocks were constructed in the early 1970’s. Meadowbank Stadium, immediately to the west was the location for the 1970 & 1986 Commonwealth Games The East Coast Main Line railway also passes by here. As does the A1 Edinburgh to London main trunk road. Many of the houses in this area are Victorian tenements.
Source-Wikipedia

Some Text