The History of Leith

November 22, 2008

The Deaconess Hospital (Closed now flats)


(c) John Arthur

Administrative History: Founded by the Church of Scotland in 1894 to train Deaconesses for missionary work at home and abroad, the hospital also provided a much needed medical service to the local community living in the Pleasance and Cowgate area. Deaconesses spent a year there as part of their training, or a further two if they wished to become fully qualified nurses. Extensions to the original building in 1897 and 1912 increased the number of beds available and an out-patient department was also added. Further extension occurred in the 1930s, and the Deaconess also began a home visiting or district service. In 1948 it became part of the Edinburgh Southern Hospitals within the South Eastern Regional Hospital Board. In 1974 it became part of the South Lothian District of Lothian Health Board. After 1984 it joined the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh and Associated Hospitals Unit. The Deaconess closed in 1990, and now renamed as Deaconess House it houses the headquarters of Lothian NHS Board.
Archival History: Records held within the National Health Service prior to transfer
Immediate Source of Acquisition or Transfer: Church of Scotland via Hazel Horne, Scottish Record Office, January 1983

Some Text