The History of Leith

November 22, 2008

St Patricks Church Canongate

Located on a south-facing slope overlooking Edinburgh’s Cowgate, the grand facade of this Roman Catholic church belies its more modest origins as the Cowgate Chapel, built in 1772-4 for the Scottish Episcopal Church. The church was sold to a Relief Presbyterian congregation in 1811, when the Episcopalians moved to the New Town, and sold once again in 1856 to serve a growing Roman Catholic community. for more click here

Some Text