The History of Leith

November 20, 2008

Bakehouse Close-Canongate


(c) John Arthur

O.S.) Shown as Huntly Close or Cordiners’ Close, J. Bruce Home. Kirkwood gives Hammermen’s or Bakehouse Close. Ainslie gives Hammermen’s Close. The name comes from the bakehouse and property on the west side of the close owned by the Incorporation of Bakers of the Canongate; Can. Chart. 12/9/1832. Its older name, Hammermen’s Close, was taken from the lands of Wm. Wilson, writer, on the west of the lands of Sir Patrick Aitchison of Glentourne, or Glencairne, son of Sir Archibald Aitchison, builder of the Aitchison house in this close, now of the Hammermen of the Canongate, Can. Chart. 13/12/1758. The lands of the Hammermen were on the east of those of the Sugar House, Can. Chart. 3/6/1767 Bruce Home ‘Back of Bakehouse Close’ states that the House of Huntly held feudal possession of the entire soil of this close on its western side-‘. . . we cannot tell why the close has ceased to bear the name of Huntly, nor when it became successively known as Cordiners’ and then as Bakehouse Close’. But neither Huntly nor Cordiners’ Close is found elsewhere.

Some Text