The History of Leith

January 13, 2008

The First Railway to Granton Harbour

The Edinburgh Leith & Newhaven Railway opened on 31 August 1842 between Scotland Street, in the New Town in Edinburgh, and Trinity Crescent, near the Chain Pier. The pier later blew down in a storm but at the time there were steamer services from it. Heavy engineering work was involved, and the line included a tunnel south of Trinity Station – one man lost his life in its construction. Initially the line ran straight to a terminal station, where flats entering off York Road now stand. The 5th Duke of Buccleuch , who built Granton Harbour built, was involved with the company. for more click here

Some Text