The History of Leith

January 13, 2008

Newhaven, Edinburgh

Newhaven is a harbour village within the City of Edinburgh, Scotland, between Leith and Granton. It has about 5000 inhabitants.

Newhaven was once a thriving fishing village and a centre for shipbuilding. King James IV had wanted to build a Scottish navy, but the existing port of Leith had proved unsuitable for large warships. In 1504 he created Newhaven as a deep-water port, which was used to build the warship Michael in 1507-11. The village was once connected to a railway that ran to Edinburgh and Leith, but it was shut down in 1956. However, efforts are underway to revive it. for more click here

Some Text