The History of Leith

December 7, 2007

DUNCAN STREET-Edinburgh

After Admiral Duncan, 1731-1804, Victor of Camperdown, 1797. Occupied No. 5 George Sq., D. 1800, 130, was a patient of Dr. Benjamin Bell, on whose ground the street is built. His sailors, who believed that he owed his life to Dr. Bell, shewed their gratitude when he arrived at Harwich, 1798, on tour, taking out the horses and dragging the carriage, B. Bell. He was publicly entertained in Edinburgh, m.t.c 17/1/1797. Street given in D. 1827.

(Admiral Duncan’s portrait can be seen in Trinity House-Leith)

Some Text