The History of Leith

December 6, 2007

When Edinburgh went up in flames

BATHED in winter sunshine, Old Assembly Close opens off the High Street and slopes down towards the Cowgate, past two very different Edinburgh institutions, the Fringe Box Office and the Faculty of Advocates. It is a much wider, airier passageway now than it was on the night of 15 November 1824, when a pot of heated linseed oil in the workshop of engraver James Kirkwood burst into flames. The resulting conflagration raged for three days and would become known as the Great Fire of Edinburgh, razing an entire swathe of the Old Town, killing 13 people and rendering hundreds homeless. for more click here

Some Text