The History of Leith

November 24, 2007

The Edinburgh botanic garden

z-4772-1.jpg
Edinburgh : [Ainslie?, 1780]. source-nls

The Edinburgh botanic garden was founded in 1670 by Dr. Robert Sibbald and Dr. Andrew Balfour. It is the second oldest botanic garden in Britain after Oxford’s. In 1763, the garden’s collections were moved away from the city’s pollution to a site on the road to Leith, and the garden moved to its present location at Inverleith in 1820. The Temperate Palm House, which remains the tallest in Britain to the present day, was built in 1858. for more click here

Some Text