The History of Leith

November 12, 2007

Raimes,Clark & Co

z-4507.jpg

The company Raimes Clark & Co. was established around 1816, although the first entry for John & Richard Raimes is in 1820, they are listed as ‘agents’ at 1 Fife Place.

In 1833 they are listed as ‘Raimes, J & R. agents, wholesale chemists and druggists, Smith’s Place.’ This entry remains the same until the mid-1850s when the company name changes slightly to:
‘Raimes, Blanshards & Co. agents, wholesale druggists and manufacturing chemists, Smiths Place’.

In 1885 the entry reads: ‘ Raimes & Co, agents, wholesale druggists and manufacturing chemists, 17 Smith’s Place.’

By 1890 the entry is ‘Raimes, Clark & Co, agents, wholesale druggists and manufactuing chemists, 17 Smith’s Place.’

They acquire 19 Smith’s Place also by 1920, and this entry remains the same until 1974 (the last Post Office Directory).

Some Text