The History of Leith

November 6, 2007

Old Charters of Leith

Charter dated 1444 of Michell Gray Preceptor of St Anthony
A charter of 1444 of the Preceptory of St Anthony Leith

Charter of William Chricton Chancellor of Scotland 1448
Charter of William Chricton 1448 donating land in Leith to the Preceptory of St Anthony

Charter of Confirmation 1451
A Charter of Conformation of 1451 and a Charter of Elizabeth Lauder in favour of the Preceptory of St Anthony dated 1491

Charter of Appointment of William Mouston as Preceptor of St Anthony 1492
Charter of Appointment of William Mouston as Preceptor of St Anthony 1492

A Charter of John Barton famous Leith Seaman and Sir Alexander Crawford preceptor of St anthony
A Charter of John Barton famous Leith seaman and Sir Alexander Crawford preceptor of St Anthony 1510

Instrument of Sasine given by Sir Richard Thomson Preceptor of St Anthony 1519
Instrument of Sasine given by Sir Richard Thomson preceptor of St Anthony 1519

Further records of Sir Richard Thomson dated 1519 and 1523
Further records of Sir Richard Thomson dated 1519 and 1523

Contuation of the above
Continuation from above

Payment being made to the preceptory of St Anthony and below a Charter of James VI
Showing a charter for the payment of money to the preceptory of St Anthony and below a charter granting the property of the preceptory of St Anthony to the Community of Leith dated 1572

Charter of King James VI to Mr John Hay dated 1592
This is the Charter of King James VI to Mr John Hay dated 1592. It appears that the charter of 1572 couldn’t be enforced as the property of St Anthony wasn’t Church property but had orginally belonged to the Knight Templars and subsequently to the Knights of St John and so was considerd secular. The charter also abolishes the Preceptory and is continued below.

contd

Daniel Hay and Margaret Purdie
John Hay passes the property of the Preceptory to his brother Daniel Hay and Margaret Purdie almost immediatly in 1592

All property which was owned by the preceptory is returned to King James VI 1596
Two Charters both of 1596 in which (top) Daniel Hay returns the property to King James in favour of the Ministers, Elders and Deacons of the Kirk Session of Leith (ie South Leith Parish Church) to build a Hospital for the poor of Leith. The other orders the resignation of all other property in Leith to the King who then passes it to South Leith Church

contd

Confirmation of the above by King James VI 1596 that the property was to be used to build a Hospital for the poor of Leith. It also brings Restalrig under South Leith Church

contd from above
contd from above

Charter of Confirmation 1597 by the Kirk Session of South Leith Church
Charter of Confirmation for the lands of the Preceptory of St Anthony 1597

Letters of Horning is to declare someone (not mentioned) an outlaw
Letters of Horning is to declare someone (not mentioned) an outlaw

Act of Parliament making South Leith Church the Parish Church
The Act of Parliament making South Leith Church a Parish Church

The Kings Wark
The Kings Wark still stands on the Shore Leith

Some Text