The History of Leith

October 12, 2007

Abbotsford.

In 1811 Sir Walter Scott purchased the farm of Clarty Hole and renamed it Abbotsford. He extended the farmhouse in 1818, and in 1824 carried out further work that fully replaced the older structure. The author’s celebrity led to Abbotsford becoming a visitor attraction, popularising the Scots Baronial style in which it was built. Architectural fragments from around Scotland were used to decorate the house, including salvaged items and casts from standing buildings. for more click here

Some Text