The History of Leith

September 16, 2007

Building bridges to the future

z-1531.jpg

IN 1896, crowds flocked to North Bridge, eager for a glimpse of the foundation stone that was being laid.

Waverley station was fast expanding and the bridge was being reconstructed to allow for major remodelling of the station.

The original stone-built bridge, comprising three stone arches spanning 1134ft, had been built in the late 1700s to link the Royal Mile and Edinburgh’s Old Town to Princes Street and the New Town. for more click here

Some Text