The History of Leith

August 4, 2007

A Brief History In Time

Leith Franklin Academicals Cricket Club is believed to be one of the oldest outdoor sporting clubs in Leith and has been playing on the same cricket square for almost 150 years.The original cricket club was called the Hermitage which was formed some time before 1850 but in 1852 some workers in Fullartons printing works in Stead’s Place formed a club called Stead’s Place Cricket Club. This was sometimes referred to as Fullarton’s Cricket Club, but at the end of the 1852 season the members decided to open the membership to all interested in the game and they called the club after one of the most famous printers of the 18th century, Benjamin Franklin. Thus, Franklin Cricket Club was born. for more click here

Some Text