The History of Leith

June 26, 2007

Torphichen Church & Torphichen Preceptory and the Knights of St John

In the 5th century St Ninian is remembered for bringing the Christian faith to West Lothian Scotland and building there a small chapel in the village of Torphichen.

Seven centuries later the Knights of St. John established their Scottish headquarters (preceptory) at Torphichen and incorporated the St Ninian’s chapel into their newly constructed (Norman) church, 1168. As a result the Knights dedicated the building to their founder, John the Baptist, while dedicating one of its side altars to St Ninian. A hospital existed on the upper floor of the transept. for more click here

Some Text