The History of Leith

June 18, 2007

The Tron Kirk of Edinburgh

z-943.jpg

The Tron Kirk of Edinburgh was “dedicated to Christ” by the citizens of Edinburgh in 1641, and known as “Christ’s Kirk at the Tron”. As the South-East parish, it was one of the four early parishes of Edinburgh, subsequent to the Scottish Reformation of 1560. Prior to the erection of this new church, parishioners of the SE parish worshipped in St. Giles’ Cathedral. An English traveller, visiting the Tron in 1705, recorded his impression in his diary:- “The nobility generally resort to the Tron Church ‘which is the principall’, and the Lord High Commissioner has a throne erected in it, in a very spatious gallery, on his right hand sits the Lord Chancellor of Scotland, and on his left the Lord Provost of Edinburgh.” There were special grants of pews made by the Edinburgh Town Council to noblemen, Senators of the College of Justice, citizens of Edinburgh Old Town, Principals and Professors of the University. A full list of seat-holders has been preserved for 1650, the year of the battle of Dunbar, and for 1745, when Bonnie Prince Charlie was in Edinburgh. for more click here

Some Text