The History of Leith

June 11, 2007

Portobello History

Until the middle of the18th century, Portobello remained an area of barren heath beside the Firth of Forth, about five miles to the east of Edinburgh, on the King’s Highway to London.

The first house was built by George Hamilton in 1755 (and demolished, 1862). It was named Portobello House, after Puerto Bello on the Isthmus of Panama. George Hamilton was present when Puerto Bello was captured. for more click here

Some Text