The History of Leith

May 4, 2007

The Ben Line

JAMES THOMSON was an Edinburgh builder with a substantial interest in the Italian marble which was in great demand at the beginning of the nineteenth century for the

fine houses being built in Edinburgh at that time. His two sons, Alexander and William, at first worked in the family business but in 1825 they set up on their own account as shipbrokers in Leith: they retained their connection with the building business however, and their first ship the ‘Carrara’, was acquired in 1839 specifically to carry marble from Leghorn to Leith. for more click here

Some Text