The History of Leith

February 22, 2007

SOUTH LEITH – Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

“SOUTH LEITH, The parish of South Leith is in the same presbytery and synod as that of North Leith, in the patronage of the crown and the kirk session, &c.: the first minister’s stipend is £396, and the second minister’s is £247. The parish church stands in Kirkgate, and is an ancient and commodious structure in a good state of repair. St. Thomas’s church was given by Sir John Gladstone, Bart., to the General Assembly. There is, also an Established church at Restalrig. In this parish there are three United Presbyterian churches, three Free churches, besides five chapels belonging respectively to the Episcopalians, Independents, Morrisonians, Wesleyan Methodists, and Roman Catholics.” for more click here

Some Text