The History of Leith

February 15, 2007

The History of Pilrig House-Leith

Whilst no one can be certain, it is possible that the derivation of the name arose from Peel on the Rig, as it is more than likely that a Peel Tower stood on the ridge. What is certain is that, in 1584, the property belonged to Sir Patrick Monypenny and that Gilbert Kirkwood bought the property in 1623 and built the present house in1638 for his bride Margaret Foulis of Colinton. Gilbert Kirkwood was a Goldsmith in Edinburgh and also owned Kinleith Mill at Colinton where his grandfather was the local Blacksmith. for more click here

Some Text