The History of Leith

November 9, 2006

THE CHAIN PIER

THE Chain Pier comprised three spans, suspended from iron chains and ran out to sea for a length of 500 feet from its location opposite Trinity Crescent.

It was constructed by Captain Brown of the Royal Navy and was opened in 1821 having cost ?4000 to build. It was four feet wide and had a depth at low water of from five to six feet and it served steam packets to Stirling, Queensferry and other ports in the Forth.

Improvements to Leith Docks and the opening Granton Harbour in I833 saw its use decline and it was used mainly by bathers and was once the headquarters of the Forth swimming club.

In 1840 it became the property of the Alloa Steam Packet Company but by 1852 it was already decaying and it was eventually distmantled around 1900.

Source The “Porthole”

Some Text