The History of Leith

September 16, 2006

MUSSELBURGH (surveyed in 1853)

Musselburgh lies on either side of the mouth of the River Esk, where it enters the Firth of Forth, directly to the east of Edinburgh. It is now in East Lothian but at the time of the survey it was in Edinburgh-shire.

The name Musselburgh means ‘Mussel town’. It is derived from the Old English words musle meaning ‘mussel’ and burh meaning ‘town’. The Old English name reflects the Anglian settlement of large areas of Lothian in the seventh and eighth centuries AD. for more click here

Some Text