The History of Leith

June 16, 2006

City jeweller to close after two centuries

A PRESTIGIOUS Old Town jeweller is to shut up shop after almost 200 years in business.

The owners of RL Christie, on Bank Street, have decided to sell up all stock and close the store when they retire at the end of the summer.

Jewellers Rachel and Sam Skop took over the shop in 1994 after the previous owner retired.

Founded in 1824 on Nicolson Square by the Christie sisters, the shop was later moved to Kirkgate, Leith. The sisters eventually settled on the current premises in the early 1900s.

source-Scotsman

Some Text