The History of Leith

May 2, 2006

PEEBLES (surveyed in 1856)

Peebles lies among hills at the confluence of the rivers Tweed and Eddleston, a little over 20 miles south of Edinburgh. The name appears to derive from a Cumbric or Brythonic word, pebyl or pebyll, which has been interpreted as meaning both ‘a place where tents were pitched’ and ‘place of sheilings’, sheiling being a Scots word for a temporary shelter used by shepherds. for more click here

Some Text