The History of Leith

April 15, 2005

The Rannie Monument.(South Leith Parish Church)

(On outside of South Wall of Church.)
The inscription is as follows :—“In Memory of James Rannie, Esq., Wine Merchant, Leith, who died the 8th April, 1805, aged 69 years.”

JAMES RANNIE was a partner in the firm of Messrs Bell, F & Co., whose offices and warehouses were then in Quality Street. Later the firm removed to Constitution Street. It is now amalgamated with the firm of John Kirk- hope & Co., Wine Merchants, 22 Queensferry Street, Edinburgh.
James Fannie, who died in April 1805, was the last of the Rannies to be connected with the firm. Under the name of Bell, Rannie & Co., it was founded as long ago as 1715. In 1745 they supplied Bonnie Prince Charlie with wine at Holyrood.
Beginning in 1793 the name of James Fannie, Jar., appears in “Williamson’s Directory” as a Wine Merchant at the “Pipes,”situated at the foot of the Kirkgate. This same business is still carried on under the name of “Dewar & Co.” The present proprietor is Mr William Tulloch, now an octogenarian. A member of South Leith, he was able to attend Public Worship until about a year ago.
Source-South Leith Records 1922

Some Text