History of Leith, Edinburgh

April 12, 2005

The Gibson Window.(South Leith Parish Church)

(South Aisle of Church.)
The inscription reads thus :—“ In memory of Mungo Campbell Gibson, born 9th March 1819, died 25th 3anuary 1890. Shipowner in Leith and Elder in this Church.”
Mungo Campbell Gibson belonged to a family which came originally from the Border country. His father was originally in the wine business. Afterwards he went into trade with the West Indies. The home in which Mungo Gibson was born in 1819 was in Bernard Street. He was trained in early life with JamesTaylor, whose memory is also commemorated by a window in South Leith Church. For a short time, during the provostship of Mr Taylor, he served in the Town Council of Leith. In 1850 he extended his shipping business, and Mr Somerville, who died a few years ago at a very advanced age, went into his business and ultimately, along with his sons, succeeded to it.
The firm came to be known as George Gibson & C0. A great business was developed
with the Continent, especially with the Baltic and Hol]and. His son Campbell Gibson succeeded him as head of the firm. A very worthy and attractive grandson was shaping well in the third generation of Gibsons in the business when the war broke out. He immediately joined a naval division. Shortly afterwards he was killed. With his death the Gibsons ceased to have any active interest in the old firm.
Mungo Gibson was an intimate friend of the late Dr. James Mitchell. He was one of his
most loyal and helpful elders. He took an interest in the affairs of the Port, being for a time a member of the Dock Commission. He also took an active share in the management of the Sailors’ Home. The testimony of Mr Somerville as a very old man to his former associate in business was that Mr Gibson was a model of quiet, perfect self-control, and of integrity in all his dealings.
The following members of his family survive at the time of writing this notice :–
Mrs Combe, 14 Clarendon Crescent; Mrs Grant, 3 Manor Place; and Miss F. C. Gibson, 24 Ahercromby Place.
From South Leith Records 1922

Some Text