The History of Leith

April 3, 2005

Neither a hero nor a villain

No other commander of the first world war has been the subject of so much praise or derision as Field Marshal Earl Haig, the commander of British forces on the western front. Born in Edinburgh in 1861, Douglas Haig was educated at Oxford and Sandhurst before being commissioned in a fashionable cavalry regiment, the 7th Hussars, where he proved to be an energetic and inquiring officer, keen to make his mark.
for more click on the introduction


Leith, too, had a special interest in General Haig, the Commander-in-Chief of our armies, for his mother, Rachel Veitch, and her only sister Dorothea were townswomen of our own. Their father, Hugh Veitch, was town clerk of Leith and lived at Stewartfield, a house that formerly stood near Bonnington Toll, and was owned originally by a family of Stewart who lived here in the eighteenth century.

Stewartfield Leith
Stewartfield

Its garden wall still bounds Newhaven Road from the Toll to Bonnington Mill
Source-John Russell 1922

Some Text