The History of Leith

February 15, 2005

The Boundarys of Leith

The third Police Act of 1827 introduced the first delimitation of Leith, in these terms:
From Seafield Toll Bar Westward along the Sea at Low Water Mark to the North West point of the Sea Wall of the Inner or Westermost Wet Dock; then by a line drawn due South from that point to the South Wall of the Warehouses and Yards on the South Side of the Wet Docks, and then extending in such Manner as to include the Houses on both sides of Albany Street, Portland Place, Portland Terrace, Cooper Street and Admiralty Street, and thence to the South East end of Cooper Street, continuing in the line of the last-mentioned Street to the River of Leith; then extending along the North side of the Harbour and River of Leith to the New Stone Bridge at Leith Mills, and crossing the said River or Harbour until it intersect the Boundary Line between Mr Boyds property of Leith Mills and Mr Dunlops lands of Bowling Green; then extending along that Boundary Line to the River of Leith, and then along the River until it reaches the Wall between the Lands of Bowling Green and the Garden belonging to Mr Stewart; then along the Boundary Line between Hadaways Park, Swanfield, and the Garden ground belonging to Mr Stewart to the Water Run from Leith Walk where it crosses the Bonnington Road; from that point extending by a straight line drawn from thence to the West corner of Duke Street; then along Duke Street and Thomsons Place; and from thence along the Lochend Road to Burns Street, including Burns Street, Vanburgh
Place, Hermitage Place and Hermitage House and Lands thereof, and thereafter by the North side of the road leading along or round the Eastern Links of Leith, and from thence until it reaches the Boundary Wall between Seafield Baths and the Grounds of the House of Seafield and then following the line of the Boundary Wall to Seafield Toll Bar.
These boundaries were extended in 1833 when Leith became independent. They then stretched from the Firth of Forth on the North, by Wardie Burn on the West, then to the meeting-point of Pilrig Street and Leith Walk, which made the South boundary, then to Lochend and back thence to the sea.
Source-Old Leith,The Caring Community, James Scott Marshall

Some Text