The History of Leith

February 4, 2005

Around Arthur Seat

Taken from James Grants “Old and New Edinburgh” published 1883. Many of the buildings don’t exist now.

Arthur Seat Edinburgh
Arthur Seat Edinburgh

St Margarets Well 1883
St Margarets Well 1883

The Holyrood Dairy 1800
The Holyrood Dairy

Clockmill House
Clockmill House 1780

View of Duddinston Village from the Queens Drive
View of Duddingston Village from the Queens Drive 1883

Duddingston Kirk 1883
Duddingston Kirk 1883

Duddingston Kirk Interior 1883
Duddingston Kirk 1883

Gateway of Duddingston Kirk
The Gateway to Duddingston Kirk showing the Jougs and louping on stone

Ruins of St Anthony's chapel looking towards Leith
Ruins of St Anthony’s chapel looking towards Leith 1883

St Anthony Chapel 1544-1854
St Anthony Chapel 1544-1854

The Volunteer Review in the Queens Park 1860
The Volunteer review in the Queens park 1860

1544
View of Edinburgh 1544-the army of the Earl of Hertford approaches the city by Calton Hill and the Watergate

Arthur Seat from St Leonards
Arthur Seat from St Leonards 1883

Salisbury Craigs
Salsbury Craigs Arthur Seat

Fishwives Causeway
view of Arthur Seat from the “Fishwives Causeway”. This was originaly a Roman Road. The area is now built up.

Some Text