The History of Leith

December 2, 2004

History of Currie

There is no accepted derivation of the name Currie but it is possibly from the Latin coria, a camp or meeting place, or from the Gaelic curagh/curragh, a mossy or boggy dell or the British word curi, a hollow.


Currie War Memorial: World War 1, World War 2

Documentary Evidence
The earliest record of a settlement in the Currie area are a Bronze Age razor (1800 BC) found at Kinleith Mill and the stone cists (500 BC) at Duncan’s Belt and Blinkbonny.
There are a few mentions of this area in mediaeval and early modern documents. One of the first is when Robert of Kildeleith became Chancellor of Scotland in 1249. Kildeleith means Chapel by the Leith, and survives today as Kinleith.
Robert the Bruce gave Riccarton as a wedding present in 1315 and in 1392 the land passed to the family of Bishop Wardlaw. In 1612 the land went to Ludovic Craig, a Senator of the College of Justice. In 1818 it passed to the female line and became the property of the Gibson-Craigs.
There has been a Christian community in the area for more than a 1000 years. In 1018, the archdeacons of Lothian set up their headquarters in the area. John Bartholomew’s Civic and Ecclesiastical maps of the 13th century do not show Currie, but the Index of Charters 1309-1413 records Currie as being ‘favourite hunting grounds’ for the Lords and Knights of Edinburgh Castle. A settlement began to take shape around Currie Kirk and the main Lanark Road, which was the main route south and continues to be known as ‘The Lang Whang’.

for more go to the link on the rhs

Some Text