The History of Leith

December 2, 2004

Edinburgh-Water of Leith

The Water of Leith rises in the Pentland Hills and flows for a distance of 36 kilometres to meet the Firth of Forth at Leith. From its source among heather covered moorland and rough pasture above East Colzium, the Water of Leith flows into Harperrig, one of Edinburgh’s compensation reservoirs.

These were constructed to augment the power required by the extension of new industries further downstream.

The Water of Leith must once have been a clear and sparkling river. An Act of Scottish Parliament in 1617 decreed that the standard pint jug was to contain:

‘three pounds seven ouncches troye of cleane rynand water from the Water of Leith’

For more go to the link on the rhs

Some Text