The History of Leith

November 16, 2004

Mary King’s Close, Edinburgh

Mary King’s Close was a 17th century street in the old city of Edinburgh. Much of the Close is still intact and in its original state. Shops and houses can be inspected – and some ghostly figures have been experienced over the years in this ‘Street of Sorrows.’
The Close runs from the High Street northwards underneath the present City Chambers. Before the building of Cockburn Street, the close had continued down to Market Street where the north-most exit is marked, these days, by the Hebrides Bar!

Mary King’s Close (formerly Alexander King’s Close and Touris Close) is thought by some to be named after the daughter of Alexander King, owner of the property and Advocate to Mary Queen of Scots. Then again, in 1644 a woman called Marie King died there and left a will and inventory of her possessions.

for more go to the link on the rhs

Some Text