The History of Leith

November 15, 2004

The history of North Leith

The recorded history of North Leith begins in 1128 when King David of Scotland granted land to his newly founded Monastery of Holyrood. By the end of the 15th century the population had grown considerably and in view of this the Abbot of Holyrood in 1493 built a chapel dedicated to Saint Ninian on the north west bank of the Water of Leith, right beside the bridge which he had also constructed for the benefit of the people. That bridge was demolished and replaced in 1788.

For more go to the link on the rhs

Some Text