The History of Leith

November 9, 2004

” FOOD FOR THOUGHT “

BEFORE the days of protection by the Welfare State, poverty and and emplovment were the harsh realities of the times and soup kitchens were all that could sustain some families during the winter months when outdoor workers could be laid off due to the weather.

Some members of South Leith Church ran such a kitchen during the 1890’s from premises in the Coalhill and then from two shops in St Andrew Street.The former halls in Duke Street were also used for this purpose before the Town Council decided to build a permanent soup kitchen in the Coalhill at the corner of Parliament Street.

A Clothing Sooiety was also run in order to help those in need during the worst of the winter weather.

Source “The Porthole”

Some Text