The History of Leith

October 8, 2004

THE VAULTS

ONE of the oldest buildings in Leith, The Vaults is first referred to in 1439 when a grant was made by Patrick, Abbot of Holyroodhouse to Sir Kobert Logan, Lord of Restalrig and his heirs.

Within that document the boundaries of the lands of St Leonards are defined and one boundary is given as ‘the great volut of Villiam Logane. ‘ The William Logan referred to as owner of The Vaults was given the lands of Coatfield by his grandfather but there is no indication to say how old they were at that time. The Logans stored their grain there in an area above ground and no more suitable place could a wine store have been as it was above the highest water mark and subject to moist air and an even temperature naturally obtained.

For more go the link on the rhs

Some Text