The History of Leith

August 24, 2004

The Rannie Monument

The Rannie Monument can be seen on the outside wall on the south side of South Leith Church. The inscription is as follows- “In memory of James Rannie Esq., Wine Merchant, Leith who died the 8th April 1805 aged 69 years.

James Rannie was a partner in the firm of Messrs Bell. Rannie & Co whose offices and warehouses were then in Quality St (now Maritime Street). Later the firm removed to Constitution Street. It then merged with the firm of John Kirkhope & Co, Wine Merchants 22 Queensferry Street Edinburgh.

James Rannie who died in April 1805 was the last of the Rannies to be connected with the firm. Under the name of Bell, Rannie & Co it was found in 1715. In 1745 they supplied Bonnie Prince Charlie with Wine at Holyrood.

Beginning in 1793 the name of James Rannie Jnr appears in “Williamson’s Directory” as a Wine Merchant at the “Pipes” situated at the foot of the Kirkgate (ie the Tolbooth Wynd end). This same business was carried on under the name of “Dewar&Co”. The proprietor in 1925 was a Mr William Tulloch who was a member of of South Leith Church and who donated the Screen to the Church in 1909.

Some Text