The History of Leith

August 22, 2004

LEITH HOSPITAL

Origins lie in the Edinburgh and Leith Humane Society, 1788. A dispensary opened in 1815 followed by a casualty hospital in 1837. Both combined to form Leith Hospital in 1848, which was formally incorporated in 1907. Thereafter it served as a general hospital for men, women and children and included an accident unit. Women medical students were admitted for clinical instruction in 1886. Leith Hospital became part of the Edinburgh Northern Hospitals under the South Eastern Regional Hospital Board. From 1974, it was part of the North Lothian District of Lothian Health Board. The hospital closed in 1987 and functions were transferred to Western General Hospital.
Archival History: Records held within the National Health Service prior to transfer
Immediate Source of Acquisition or Transfer: Leith Hospital Administrator, May 1986


From the “Edinburgh Almanack 1829 entry for the Leith Dispensary and Humane Society.

Publication Note:
Boyd, David H.A. Leith Hospital 1848-1988 Edinburgh: Scottish Academic Press, 1990
Hoy, Christine A Beacon in Our Town: The Story of Leith Hospital Edinburgh, 1988

For further information please go to-
http://www.lhsa.lib.ed.ac.uk

Some Text