The History of Leith

August 4, 2004

The Junction Road Church Halls

At a meeting of the Congregation held on the 15th December 1892 it was resolved to purchase old property adjoining the Church and fronting Bonnington Road in order that it might be demolished and for new halls for the Church erected in the site.

The property was obtained for £500 and by competition the plans of Mr Peter L.Henderson of Edinburgh was chosen and by the 4th October 1894 the work was completed at he cost of £3160 including the price of the old property and other due payments.

In a sense the origins of the halls lay in the Relief Churches work through the Home mission in Sheriff Brae. However due to the demolition of many slum houses during the Leith Improvement of 1880 in which thousands of sub standard houses were demolished the population living in Sheriff Brae fell sharply and it was decided to move the Home Mission to Bonnington Road.

The picture above shows the hall as it was in 1896. Although the halls after more then one hundred years are still used the area around the hall has changed greatly.

Some Text