The History of Leith

July 31, 2004

The Story of James Airth

The portrait of the old gentleman sitting with the role of building plans in his hands and looking down approvingly from the wall of the Session Room upon the present generation of Junction Road folks is not the portrait of the architect of the Church .

But is a portrait of James Airth who was one of the first trustees and Elders of the Church. He was a blacksmith and founder and was employed as a manager of Leith Walk Foundry. He died on the 6th January 1839. His son James also a Elder and Manager ran a Grocery business in Tolbooth Wynd and his son also James practised as a doctor for many years in the Town.

Some Text