The History of Leith

July 9, 2004

“Church Buird Clothes”

The “Church Buird Clothes” were cloths spread on the boards or tables which were specially erected within the Church at South Leith for Communion before pews had become a common feature of the Church.. The church prior to the 18th century had a dirt floor and tables where erected within the Church and then a fence erected around the tables. This can be seen from the Kirk record of the 5th April 1632.

The distinction between pews and tables was fundamental and is still observed at Communions more conveniently yet quite effectively by placing linen cloths on the centre pews which thus become for the time become Communion Tables.

Some Text