The History of Leith

July 8, 2004

The Rannie Monument

On the outside south wall of South leith Church is a monument to James Rannie as follows ” In Memory of James Rannie Esq. Wine Merchant, Leith, who died the 8th April 1805 aged 69 years

James Rannie was a partner in the firm of Messrs Bell, Rannie and Co whose offices and warehouses were then in Quality Street. Later the firm moved to Constitution Street. It amalgamated later with the firm of John Kirkhope & Co. Wine Merchants 22 Queensferry Street. Edinburgh.

James Rannie who died in April 1805 was the last of the Rannies to be connected with the Firm. Under the name of Bell, Rannie & Co it was founded as long ago as 1715. In 1745 they supplied Bonnie Prince Charlie with wine at Holyrood.

Beginning in 1793 the name James Rannie Jnr appears in “Williamsons Directory” as a Wine Merchant at the “Pipes” situated at the foot of the Kirkgate. This same business was carried on later as “Dewar & Co. The owner in 1909 Mr William Tulloch gave the screen to be seen at the Chancel to South Leith Church in celebration of the three hundredth celebration of the erection of the Parish of South Leith.

Some Text