The History of Leith

June 28, 2004

The Oratory of Mary of Guise

Despite many writers on the history of Leith insisting that Mary de Guise had a palace. They are wrong because her palace was in Edinburgh under Edinburgh Castle on the site of the Free Church College beside New College. The Palace itself was demolished in 1846

Below can be seen the oratory of that building and explains why when Mary,Queen of Scots returned to Scotland she was supposed to have stayed at Andrew Lambs house in Leith before going to Holyrood and didn’t stay at her mothers house which never existed in Leith.

Some Text