The History of Leith

June 28, 2004

The King James Hospital

A former feature of the Churchyard at South was the King James Hospital in the South West portion. The Hospital proper was a plan erection resembling a tenement which according to Kincaid measured fifty feet by thirty feet.

However there were other buildings on the site, including a Session House, A convening House for the incorporations, and a Laigh House for the School. The site is indicated by the high in the Kirkgate into which there is built a stone bearing the sword and sceptre with the inscription “J.R.6” to commemorate the King who granted the Golden Charter to the Church in 1614 but who otherwise has no connection with the building that bears his name. The building also carried the Royal coat of Arms which was later incorporated into the Tower in 1848. These arms being removed from the square below the sceptre and sword and which can still be seen to this day.

Some Text