The History of Leith

June 14, 2004

An ancient Signal Tower in Tolbooth Wynd

Near to the top of the Old Tolbooth Wynd an ancient signal Tower once stood and can be seen in an old engraving below.


It was furnished with little port holes at the top resembling those used for muskets in the past and can be seen in the old Border peel towers and fortalices. Unfortunately not much is known about the building but it may have been a look out tower for watching for merchant ships entering the harbour. It is possible that the structure predates the Mylne Signal Tower of 1685 which possibly replaced the lookout Tower in Tolbooth Wynd.

Some Text