The History of Leith

June 9, 2004

Famous people living near to Leith Links

About 1770 a few merchants started to build houses in the vicinity of Leith Links. These were followed by others however no plan was adhered to.

By 1809 Charles, Earl of Dalkeith and later 4th Duke of Buccleuch and sixth Duke of Queensferry built a house near to the Golf House. Hence the name of the street which is now Duke Street. In the same area George, Earl of Glasgow built his house by 1802.

In 1783-9 James, Earl of Lauderdale resided in a mansion just east of Hermitage which by 1812 was occupied by Lady Fyfe and there was a well on the Links called Lady Fyfe’s Well and the hill on the Links nearest to the house was called Lady Fyfe’s Brae.

Some Text